Hospital Update, 11 October: An Indian patient died last week after being given the wrong anaesthetic.

Hospital update, 11 October: Concerns about safety of anaesthesia in hospitals is rising following the death of an Indian patient who was given the wrong drug Hospital Update, 11 October: A spokesperson for Surrey…

Hospital Update, 11 October: An Indian patient died last week after being given the wrong anaesthetic.

Hospital update, 11 October: Concerns about safety of anaesthesia in hospitals is rising following the death of an Indian patient who was given the wrong drug

Hospital Update, 11 October: A spokesperson for Surrey and Sussex University Hospitals Trust today said they are committed to safety.

The death of an Indian patient last week is prompting concerns about safety of anaesthesia after he was given the wrong medicine.

In a statement obtained by the Sun, he said the patient was still in a coma and medics were attempting to control the swelling in his brain, which is the lead cause of death in such cases.

‘In fact the actual cause of death appears to be a complication of the stroke of the heart resulting in swelling of the brain due to lack of oxygen following the brain damage,’ the patient’s family said.

A spokesman for Surrey and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust confirmed an Indian patient ‘made a sudden turn for the worse’ after undergoing several surgeries.

He was given an incorrect anaesthetic by his consultant last Thursday.

‘Following discussions with the family, it is believed there was a possible communication problem between the anaesthetist and another consultant in the department,’ the spokeswoman added.

They added that the trust had contacted police to discuss the case.

The inquest in the incident opened yesterday.

Questions are being asked over staff training with a senior doctor warning patients to find out more about anaesthesia before any surgery.

Leave a Comment