Iran to resume nuclear talks with US ‘calm and modest’

Image copyright EPA Image caption Nuclear talks have been suspended since June 2017 when President Donald Trump announced the United States would pull out of the agreement Iran’s foreign minister has said the country…

Iran to resume nuclear talks with US 'calm and modest'

Image copyright EPA Image caption Nuclear talks have been suspended since June 2017 when President Donald Trump announced the United States would pull out of the agreement

Iran’s foreign minister has said the country will start talks with the remaining parties to the 2015 nuclear deal with “great determination and humility”.

Ali Akbar Salehi said Tehran’s oil sector would not be affected by remaining sanctions.

He also said the US “should consider not to use any military option” in response to US President Donald Trump’s comments.

Mr Trump repeatedly stated that the nuclear deal was bad for the US and that he would not back it if he did not like it.

Mr Trump left the Iran nuclear deal after the US Congress enacted sanctions in May.

European states are due to meet in the Austrian capital of Vienna on Wednesday to discuss what they can do to save the deal, which caps Iran’s nuclear activities in return for relief from sanctions.

In an interview with the Austrian daily Der Standard published on Saturday, Mr Salehi called the threat of US sanctions “inconsequential” for Iran.

He said the country did not “see the benefit” of Washington’s sanctions.

Mr Salehi said: “Our oil market will not be negatively affected. We have invested heavily in the industry and that’s how we generate the money to finance other industries.”

US defence secretary James Mattis has previously said that any Iranian attacks against American forces in the Middle East would be answered “in kind”.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Thursday that Washington was determined to make the 2015 deal “fulfilling”.

“We believe that sanctions will pressure the Iranian regime. By working through the Europeans, they might be able to do something,” he said.

Washington has not yet reimposition any of the sanctions it lifted under the deal, but officials have warned they could be back in place in November.

Mr Trump also threatened that any action taken by Iran against Arab and Israeli forces in the region would be considered “an act of war”.

Leave a Comment