South Africa’s Justice Minister, Michael Masutha, announced Tuesday that travelers coming from eight countries, including the United States, would be required to show a passport or other ID when entering the country.
“People will be required to present documents that indicate which country they are coming from before entering South Africa,” Mr. Masutha said, adding that there had been an influx of illegal immigrants into the country.
The eight countries — the U.S., China, Syria, Egypt, the Palestinian Authority, Iran, Nigeria and Myanmar — would be subject to additional border control procedures in addition to the country’s regular immigration and customs regulations, including border checks and targeted searches, Mr. Masutha said.
This policy will apply to foreigners entering South Africa on noncommercial visas, tours and visits to investment interests in South Africa and will remain in place until April 2020.
The announcement was made alongside that of restrictions on travel and transactions in countries of the Sudan, Iran, Syria, Yemen and Libya. These countries have the lowest internet and mobile phone connectivity, a measure the U.S. has targeted for years as a way to combat terrorism.
Those restrictions also take effect on Tuesday.
South Africa’s move comes less than a week after the world was shocked by the murder of two Americans in a taxi and the killing of a third by an unknown assailant.
Also last week, a Trump administration official warned Africa of possible retaliation over the U.S. investigation into claims of African slave trade.
This travel announcement did not immediately result in travel disruptions.
Travel agents and exchange offices in South Africa said a steady stream of visitors continued through the country.